Saturday, March 10, 2012

Intro

My name is Aneesa, and I was born on 11 April 1993. I have a microtia on the left side due to Goldenhar Syndrome. On the 2nd of April, I will have the first of 2 reconstructive surgeries on my ear. Even though I am from South Africa, I am having my op in Paris. This is because no-one in South Africa makes good ears that actually look like ears.

I have chosen Dr Françoise Firmin in Paris (yes, FRANCE!) to do my surgeries. Dr Firmin does occasionally operate in South Africa, but she refuses to operate on me here. With Goldenhar, one side of the face (in my case the left side) is underdeveloped. The bones in my left cheek are severely underdeveloped. In order for ear reconstruction to happen, there needs to be a foundation for the ear. In my case, there was no bone in the place where the ear is going to go, and last July I had a fat graft which will provide the foundation for my new ear (it also improved my facial symmetry). Dr Firmin feels that because my case is more complicated than most, she would like her staff to look after me. I'm not complaining, I get to have a two week holiday in PARIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I created this blog so that family and friends can follow my journey even though they are not in France. I also created this blog so that parents who are considering ear reconstruction using rib cartilage can see what what the surgery (I hope to get some pics!) and recovery is like.

what we are starting with:

No comments:

Post a Comment