Thursday, October 25, 2012

Draps and betadine

The reason you get admitted the day before is because of infection control.

Upon arrival at the ward, you are handed a red bottle of betadine. I remember thinking "HUH what is THIS for?? They usually only use it in theatre!!" It turns out that this will replace soap during your hospital stay. A nurse explained that I MUST bath AND wash my hair with it that night as well as the next morning before theatre (ew.). Also everytime I had a bath post-op I had to use it (I was only required to wash my hair with it those two times).

When we enquired about getting towels we were told to "utilisé le drap" (use the sheet!!!!!). The whole time in the hospital I had to use a sheet to dry myself. It was weird at the time, but dad figured it out quite quickly (being the germophobe he is :-P). Germs like to live in the fluffy bits of towels (it's true, I did my own research) and in a hospital setting, there can be lots of funky germs floating around!!

By the way Clinique Bizet has the best rating a French hospital can get for infection control. Clearly their different ways of doing things is working :-)




Betadine




Le drap

No comments:

Post a Comment