Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Feeling a little shakey

The night before surgery all was well and I wasn't too nervous. The nurses gave me atarax to sleep. It used to knock me out when I used to take urticaria (hives) which I got from augmentin, but it didn't work this time.

The next morning however I felt extremely nervous. This always happens when I'm in a hospital I've never been to before, it also happens when I have a new surgeon. This time there was both!!

*Insert breakdown here*

It also didn't help that mom and dad were not allowed anywhere near theatre. I had to say goodbye in the ward. Not. Cool. At clinique bizet the theatre level is only accessible by inserting a key into the lift.

I swear entering the theatre complex was like entering some kind of inner sanctum. Once you get to the theatre level the porter uses a special disk to enter the theatre complex.

I must say the theatre staff were incredibly friendly and that calmed me down. Better than some people That have looked after me here. Theatre was GINORMOUS!! Our theatres are not even close in size!! I don't know what they do with all that space!!

I was in theatre for SIX hours, because Dr Firmin had to deal with all the scar tissue around my microtia.

In France, you stay in recovery until you are fully awake, and your nurse is happy with your vitals. So much better than when ward nurses come check on you every 5 minutes. I was in recovery for two hours, even with a TIVA (total intravenous anaesthetic..,.done with Michael Jackson's milk :-P). I think it would have been longer without the TIVA. I had such a sweet nurse...and for some reason I remember she was pretty too :-). I was so out of it and I don't remember having pain in recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment